Monday, May 7, 2012

In which nothing sucked and there were Dragons

So last week (still) didn't work.  And I (still) slept a lot.  And despite some seeming setbacks in life, I can honestly say that nothing sucked about it. 
Some highlights....
I took a roadtrip down south with Monika, raced a road race, and raced up a mountain.  I actually didn't die.  And Monika won said uphill race.  So, goodness abounded.  And we stayed in a cute little resort too.     I also got to follow Lindsay on her Speedweek adventure and awesome success.  I'm so proud and honored to be a part of a team with such amazing talent. 

I spent the week exploring new training grounds.  And I had someone to train with who got great pleasure out of kicking my ass up the worst training hill in history (complete with a cemetery in the middle of it) and yelling at me "STOP, THERE'S A COW IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD".  Yes, a cow.  I am now going to start rating workouts on their cow content and how many times I contemplate killing my training partner if I can catch him. 

And then I went to Bennington.  Where I got to reconnect with Kacey and cram into a tiny motel room with 3 badass (and hot) women to complete the rainbow coalition of a room.  I also raced hard and won a nickname or two.  I'm starting to feel form coming on, and understand what people mean by racing into shape.  I know I'll be ready to start pillaging and crushing when the time comes.  But this weekend reminded me why I love racing bikes.  Why getting called the "pirate space princess" was awesome.  Why having random bike racing strangers feed me ice cream makes me laugh, and why the fact that women are getting stronger and racing more aggressively makes me happy. 

Check out Kacey's blog if you're looking for the metrics of the weekend.  She nailed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment