I am a risk taker. I flew attack helicopters for a living. I ice climb, mountain climb, and race my bike at ridiculous speeds on ridiculous roads because it's fun and relaxing. I've moved across the country on my own no less than half a dozen times. I've led delegations of congressmen into less than friendly countries where I speak minimal, if any, of the language. I've slept outside through everything mother nature can throw at me. And I'm ok with killing spiders.
I do, however, have my limits. And limits come for various reasons. Sometimes I'm not feeling 100%, sometimes my head and my heart just aren't into it that day, somethings make the hair on the back of my neck bristle in that "maybe you should just walk away" kind of way.
Yesterday, one of the other Combat Apathy ambassadors sent me this story about some canyon rope swing adventure gone not-so-right. Yes, everyone was fine and the end. And perhaps everyone had fun. But, as the author of the commentary suggests, risks are meant to be experienced at a personal pace.
While I agree with generally everything the author has to say, I feel that she comes short of one of the primary issues surrounding risk takers - the respect and acceptance of fear. Risk takers are not unnecessarily or recklessly fearless. Those people don't live long enough to become risk takers. Risk takers understand fear, respect fear, and need fear. If you're not afraid, you don't understand the significance of risk, nor are you living up to your potential.
I do, however, have my limits. And limits come for various reasons. Sometimes I'm not feeling 100%, sometimes my head and my heart just aren't into it that day, somethings make the hair on the back of my neck bristle in that "maybe you should just walk away" kind of way.
Yesterday, one of the other Combat Apathy ambassadors sent me this story about some canyon rope swing adventure gone not-so-right. Yes, everyone was fine and the end. And perhaps everyone had fun. But, as the author of the commentary suggests, risks are meant to be experienced at a personal pace.
While I agree with generally everything the author has to say, I feel that she comes short of one of the primary issues surrounding risk takers - the respect and acceptance of fear. Risk takers are not unnecessarily or recklessly fearless. Those people don't live long enough to become risk takers. Risk takers understand fear, respect fear, and need fear. If you're not afraid, you don't understand the significance of risk, nor are you living up to your potential.
Learning how to channel and develop fear is the strongest weapon an individual can possess. The author argues that when faced with risk, "empowerment comes from taking that step ourselves." Yes, it does, but that statement doesn't give credence to the entire process of empowerment.
Risk taking is empowering. And, inclusive of that, fear is empowering. Fear, when used correctly, leads to respect. Respect leads to knowledge. Knowledge leads to strength and overcoming.
I have been in situations similar to that of the women in the video. I've had partners call me a "fucking chick" for just wanting to chill out for an afternoon and play around on some 5.8s rather than trying to crush myself on the 5.10b trad route for the 30th time in a row. I've had fellow pilots mock me for pulling myself off a flight when I wasn't sure of my physical state. Teammates have bristled when I couldn't make a race. Understanding our moment to moment shortcomings and respecting our fears is true empowerment. The days I spent climbing easier routes, or resting my body and mind were not easy. It takes more courage to break from the peer pressure and stand up to your fears than go with the flow and pretend they don't exist.
So, I challenge you all to respect your fears and face them. Learn from them. And lead them to empower you. And, when you're ready, jump off the cliff.
No comments:
Post a Comment