Monday, December 31, 2012

With a Bang and a Whimper

2012 taught me I suck at Blogging.  Maybe for 2013 I'll make it a resolution to do better.  Or maybe I'll stay sporadic with all of this.  
But, at the year ends, it is only natural to desire retrospectives and attempts at meaning.  So, with great thanks to Atis from whom I stole this, here is a guide to the year that was 2012 and that will be 2013... 


1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
Trying to think of some epic firsts... but lets see.  I raced in Colorado, I got out of the Marine Corps, I let someone take care of me when I was hurt, I saw a meteor shower, I went back to school.  Nothing screams "OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE I DID THAT, IT WAS AWESOME" but all in all it was an accomplishment.  

2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I kept about 1/3 of the ones I made for 2012.  2 of them are gonna have to hold over for 2013.  Other than that, I haven't thought too much about my 2013 ones, other than possibly communicate better with my coach (since I suck at it) and getting published again. 

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My cousin, this year.  My sister at the very end of 2011

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Give my previous line of work, I sadly loose someone who meant something to be more often than I would like. 

5. What countries/states did you visit?
I went on far too many road trips, encompassing South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware, New York, New Jersey, Vermont, West Virginia, Ohio, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, California.  Done with car trips for the year (maybe 2013 is the year of none)
For work, I'll go by continents... North and South America, Europe, Asia... yea, that covers it enough... 
   
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
An idea of a job for when I'm done with school... 

7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
May 15 - I got out of the Marine Corps


May 20 - I broke my arm 

June 10 - my first outside ride in Colorado

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Professionally, I transitioned out of the Marine Corps and became a Sie Fellow at the Korbel School at University of Denver.  
Personally, I completed, with arguable decent results, all NRC/NCC races I entered, despite a broken arm, cross country move and beginning to live at altitude. 

9. What was your biggest failure?
Burning bacon on a few occasions.  

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I broke my arm (see above).  Pretty much worst timing ever too.... 
But I got a cool purple cast that matched my kit when I was able to ride again. 














11. What was the best thing you bought?
The Venge

Or the Mountain Bike


12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
The PhD for whom I am a research assistant, Dr. Erica Chenoweth.  She won a kick-ass award and I am lucky to get to work with her.  

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
99% of the politicians.  From negative ads, to attacks on women and other groups, I am glad to be out of the Washington world. 

14. Where did most of your money go?
Bikes, moving.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Starting a new adventure as a student, in an incredibly awesome state. I am surrounded by great mentors and advisors and am excited about the potential for my future.  
I am also lucky to be in the company of the greatest man ever, and am incredibly excited about his future as a new bike shop owner.

16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
Call Me Maybe.  Or maybe Mana-Mana 

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier
b) thinner or fatter? Thinner
c) richer or poorer? Monetarily poorer... student life isn't exactly prosperous.  But personally, much richer
   
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Writing and Reading.  Never seems to be enough time for that. 

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Fretting about what people thought about my decisions.  I made some huge life decisions - professionally, personally and athletically.  I know not everyone agreed with them, and I spent a lot of time worrying that I was a disappointment. But I've found peace and happiness, so it's worth it. 

20. How did you spend Christmas?
My sister's house in Cali.

21. What was your favorite TV program?
We recently got an Apple TV... so Battle Star Galactia.  Currently running, however, would be Big Bang Theory
  
22. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Only the VA as an organization.  Other than that, I hate no one or nothing. 

23. What was the best book you read?
Professionally, Who Governs the Globe?
Personally, I'll throw a shout out to a friend.  I loved both War of the Seasons (now write #3!!!)

24. What was your greatest musical discovery?
A crazy small bluegrass band at a friend's wedding. 

25. What did you want and get?
New bike.  School Fellowship

26. What did you want and not get?
My house was denied a sale on a short sale.  Instead I lost more than a year's salary on it. 

27. What was your favorite film of this year?
Argo.  Best movie I've ever seen.

28. What did you do on your birthday?
I was in Colorado for Discover Korbel.  I raced Boulder Roubaix and had dinner with my mom and sister and niece.   

























29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Getting to race Liberty Classic.  The broken arm was the week prior... 

30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
Everything from classic professional to spandex this year.  

31. What kept you sane?
Racing my bike, and playing with the adorable Jack Russels that are now a member of my family. 

32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I wish I had a celebrity crush. But in the cycling world, I'm incredibly impressed with the work that Joe D and Evie Stevens did.  
Shannon Galpin's work is an inspiration from a mix of professional desires and personal passion. 

33. What political issue stirred you the most?
I found it very interesting how women were portrayed in this election - by both sides.  All I have to say is I look forward to the day when society calls women who pursued careers they believed in role models rather than disappointments to womanhood, and women who are successful inspirations rather than bitches.  As long as we're seen as an issue rather than valuable and necessary participants in society, however, this will never happen. 
  
34. Who did you miss?
All my DC friends... 

35. Who was the best new person you met?
Andy :)

36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012:
The world needs status quo breakers.  The world needs passionate dreamers.  The world needs souls willing to create the new paradigm.  Being this person is hard.  But hopefully worth it. 

2012 came and went.  And 2013 will inevitably begin.  As everyone looks to the superlatives this time of year, I am reminded of T.S. Elliot, and the end of his poem "The Hallow Men."     

This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

For 2013 I will challenge myself to live with enough bangs, that the end will inevitably seem like a whimper in retrospect.  








1 comment:

  1. I love you, Ramba!! I miss you all the time and really hope that I can get out to visit you in CO sometime soon. Oh, and... I may have to steal this for my blog!

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete